Feb 24, 2009

Crochet Block....






On Sunday, after I finished my sweater, I hit a stumbling block....a form of writer's block, but for crocheters.  I couldn't find another project to make.  I searched through online web pages and my stash of patterns (I have hundreds), but I couldn't figure out what I wanted to make. 
I had a few criteria for creation:
1.  I wanted it to be a sweater
2.  I didn't want it to be made with a zipper, I think it would be too casual for work
3.  I wanted it to be slightly fitted (this is where I had the most trouble), maybe not fitted, but with structure
4.  I needed the sleeves to not be baggy, this always seems to be a problem with crochet sweaters
5.  I really wanted to attempt knitting one, but I'm still a little nervous about my knitting skills.
Those are most of my "normal" criteria; I had plenty of the neurotic kind.
While lying in bed Sunday night, trying to fall asleep, my mind kept floating around my other UFOs and how I shouldn't start a new project just because I had finished my sweater.  I have my blanket to finish, the shawl/scarf that I really want to complete.  I'd like to use that before the weather gets to warm.  But, the need to create something new kept nagging at me and nagged at me all through the day yesterday (monday).
I got home from work and immediately sat down again with my patterns, I narrowed it down and then I opened up an issue of Crochet Today , the September issue .  I found this pattern, the Perfect Fall Sweater .  I really like this and as I read through the pattern and started swatching, I knew that this would be perfect (with some modifications, of course).  So, I started it last night and I will probably make the sleeves shorter, shorten the length (b/c it looks like a coat), remove the collar, and probably not add the pockets.  When I'm finished I will write how I made the changes, although I think that they are pretty self explanatory.
I also want to make a pair of crochet leggings; I'm not really sure where this urge came from, but it is strong and rather demanding.  I find some really great knit patterns, but the thought of using DPNs terrifies me....any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment