Apr 10, 2013

Yarn Review - Vintage - Berroco


Berroco Vintage is a nice wool blend yarn that is not itchy and provides quite a bit more stretch than I would have expected.  Vintage comes in several weights, and the one that I have used in the past and can review is the worsted weight (not to say that I do not own the DK and Bulky version...ahem).  Although I don't hear much about this yarn in the blogosphere it's a workhorse and I really like it.

I have made a project with this yarn, and it was quite a large project, by my estimation.  I knit a sweater that just did not come out the way that I would have liked.  It had nothing to do with the yarn and everything to do with the user....

The project was the February Lady Sweater, and here is my Rav project page.



I had a really hard time to get the color right on the computer and this is as close as I can get.  It's a dark gold base color with some faint flecks of a reddish color.  The saturation and hue are lovely and all the various colorways of the Vintage line are very visually appealing.

Details
Weight: 100g
Yardage: 217yds
Fiber: 50% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 10% Nylon

Ravelry Page

Notes
This yarn has a soft hand and great stretch.  The nylon really gives the yarn a well balanced stretch quality and then add to this, the acrylic and you're able to achieve a good "memory" for blocking.  With this yarn, it's a must to remember that it stretches and to probably go down a needle size for any project that was not designed with this yarn (or similar) in mind.  I made the mistake of going up a needle size, as I usually knit tightly and this was a massive mistake.  Even with my tight knitting gauge, I could have gone down a needle size.
In summary, I really like this yarn, it was great to knit with, offers up a lot of depth and eye appeal, has a soft hand, and is just as soft in the final product.  I can't complain too much about the price either.  You get a decent amount of yardage out of it and it goes a long way, again because of the stretch.  Also, it does not pill, which is always a plus in my book!


No comments:

Post a Comment